So, about 2? maybe 3? years ago, someone hit my car, I assume in parking lot at my apartment. They didn't leave a note or anything. I have no clue what happened, or how. But there is some damage to my car, which is a lease. I have been putting off getting it fixed for some time now, obviously. Heh. I've gotten a couple estimates, and they are in the $700+ range. I? do not have an extra $700 laying around. I do not even have an extra $100. My lease will be up in February, and I know that I have to get my car fixed by then, but my only option would be to put it on a credit card, which I would just hate to do. I try really hard to be conscious of how easy it is to get into credit card debt, and I just don't want that to happen.
Cut to today. My boss walks over and says "You know Jen, I just hate walking by your pretty car every day and seeing that big dent on it." I say, "Yeah, I know. I hate it too, but I just don't have the money to get it fixed." To which he responds "Well, why don't you take it to a body shop and see if they would write up the invoice as if they were repairing my truck, and then I could write it off as a business expense. We could just cut them a check."
My boss is always doing shit like that, trying to fool the system and save every last penny that he can, taking money under the table for things that he sells, etc. I've never approved of it, but hey, what can I do? But now he's offering me something, and I know it's wrong, but damn! How awesome would that be? To get my car fixed, which is something that has been bothering me for years, and for free! It's really generous of him to offer, and I really want to accept. But I know it's wrong. I am not a liar or a thief. But this would help me out so much!
My mom and I talked about it, and at first she was against it. Saying how I always condemn him for the shady stuff he does, so would I be hypocritical and accept it? But the more we talked about it, her attitude started to change and she started justifying going through with it. "Everyone does things like this. It's just how business men are. You're only accepting a gift. I know how much it would help you out. I think you should do it."
I don't know what to do. I want to do it, but I know I shouldn't.
What do you think?
Thursday, May 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

21 comments:
LOL. You know it's morally wrong! Do you want us to give you a free pass? Okay. I say GO FOR IT! :D
a) you are helping the economy.
b) even if the boss writes it off (and doesn't pay taxes as a result), the body shop *WILL* be paying taxes on the income, so the government benefits anyway.
c) The boss will jsut spend $700 on something else he can write off
d) If you really feel bad, you can send the IRS a check for what the taxes would have been on that $700.
e) If it's the company you're worried about (owners, stockholders, etc), you can work some unpaid overtime to make up for it
f) Or you could offer to sleep with the board of directors so they get something out of the deal (and so would you. Heh!)
Um, no. I wasn't looking for anyone to give me a free pass. I know it's wrong. I said that several times. I was looking for opinions and what-would-you-do-if-you-were-me answers. Ultimately, it will be my choice and I will live with it. *shrug*
If the boss owns the company, I'd probably do it. Otherwise, not. The possibilities of trouble worth more than $700 seem too likely. I think this would classify as a "theft". If the boss is the company owner & he signs for the work then it is his business ethics in question here--not yours.
I'll ask my CIA contact when he gets home. (Certified Internal Auditor.) (And after we watch Survivor & our tape of TAR from yesterday.)
Dang. I'll ask MTW next time I need something justified! ;-)
My advice, not worth it. Is your conscience for sale? Can I buy it for $700? Probably not. Like you said, it is up to you, and you need to be able to live with the choice you make.
That said, I'd probably do it. *grin*
Oh, you wanted to know wjhat *I'd* do! I would go ahead and do it. Just feel guilt for a little while.
If it were me, I think wouldn't do it. I would feel as if I were helping someone commit tax fraud, and therefore would be as guilty as that person. But I would be tempted to do it.
I posted here. I know I did, because I LOL'd at "MM", but it was MTW. I was going to correct that, but I see that my comment is not here.
OK.
I would not do it. I'm capable of feeling guilty about things years later, so I wouldn't be able to do that at. all.
I don't know what I'd do.
How much is your insurance deductible? If you deductible is lower than the $700, just claim some idiot hit you in the Walmart parking lot and didn't leave a note. It won't make your insurance go up much, if at all and you won't feel guilty because it's almost the truth.
At least, that's probably what I'd do. I don't think I could go with what the boss suggested because a) I'd have to live with that guilt and I do enough stupid shit on my own accidentally without adding to it and b)my boss is the type to hold this over my head until I die as a reason for me to do some other dumb thing for him later on.
Yes, Swami. He is the owner of the company. It's a very small company, we only have 6 employees.
I just hate that I have to spend $700 of my money for something that wasn't even my fault. I know, I know, life's not always fair. *sigh* I should have reported it to my insurance company, but I just never got around to it. (QUEEN of procrastination!)
At this point? I'm leaning towards doing it. It's almost an offer to good to refuse, ya know? I'm sure I'd feel guilty for awhile, but I'd get over it. *grin*
And also, if I decided not to, how would I say to my boss "I don't feel comfortable doing something like that." It'd kind of be like telling him that I think he's shady, you know? Not a good thing to tell your boss if you'd like to keep your job. Heh.
Momma, I thought about going to my insurance, but I'm sure there's some sort of time limit on filing claims and the dent/scratch is all rusted, so it's obvious that it happened a long time ago.
I would at first tell the boss "yes". Then I would wait about two hours and I would go back into his office and explain how my ethics won't allow me to rip off the system.
Hopefully, his response would be that he agrees and you are right and you are a wonderful person and he admires your morals. And because he admires your morals, he will instead pay for it out of his own pocket as a reward.
Then you, making sure that you are not going against your ethics, will not question him as to whether he is really going to take it out of his pocket or if he is really just saying that and is still going to do it the unethical way.
Everybody wins. Your morals remain intact, your car gets fixed, he looks like a good guy and you all live happily ever after.
Seana, your comment was deleted because you weren't really laughing at something *I* said. Next time, only "LOL" at me, and don't try to come back and change it. *grin*
Personally I've always believed that if I'm going to compromise my principles, it had better be for something that will be worth it and make a big change in my life, and not just the little things.
However, having just spend $810. on repairing my car door that was damaged by an unknown idiot in a parking lot, I really know your temptation and sure wouldn't judge.
I guess I would have more of a problem with asking the mechanics to write it up as the truck instead of your car. That's involving someone else looking at me as immoral. Not to mention it could be damaging to you boss & the company if the mechanics ever decided to tell someone else (even their friends/family) about the sneaky perks of working for Mr. X.
So if I could do it without anyone other than me & Mr. X knowing about it, I might do it. However, involving others (not to mention asking them to play a part in the little sneakiness) would make me say no.
Ultimately, it's your decision and I certainly won't think more or less of you for whatever you decide.
Seana, if he is the owner of the company then Mr. MBA says he can do whatever the heck he wants with his business assets. He can fix your car if he wants to. If he chooses to call fixing your car a 'business expense' for his own tax purposes that is his risk, not yours.
Just be sure that HE signs off on the paperwork, not just you. Then you cannot be accused of theft from the company, or fraud. Always cover your ass.
The only downside to you would be that the IRS (well, this is true in the US) would consider the $700 dollars spent as "wages" to you, which should be taxed as wages. The chances of this being caught out are very slim, and would probably just involve paying the back taxes.
You're right Kim. I was thinking "How in the heck would it look to walk into a body shop and ask them to do this?!" I could never do it myself. My mom said she would give them a call and feel them out a little bit. Heh. This is so odd, like I'm in a spy movie or something. LOL.
But anyway, my mom's BF has a friend who does body work part-time. He is one of the people that I got an estimate from, and also the cheapest estimate. So, my mom's BF is going to call up his friend and ask him if he'd do it. I feel much safer with that. I highly doubt this guy would rat us out. And my mom's BF's friends? aren't of the highest moral character, so I wouldn't feel *too* bad about involving him. He can say no if he wants.
*sigh* It sure sounds like I'm going through with this, doesn't it?
Thanks for checking with Mr. MBA for me, Swami. *smooch*
Eeek! That is quite a dilemma. So did you decide what to do?
If it were me?
First, I wouldn't own the car. Every car I've owned has been a complete rustbucket. Hell, $700, would have bought most of my cars.
Aside from that, I don't think I'd do it. I am either very moral or have a huge fear of getting caught.
Also, I really wouldn't want that sort of "favour" from my boss. I would hate that feeling of being beholden to someone I don't respect, more than I would hate spending the money.
(I do like Swami's take on it, though. If he is the owner of the business, then it is up to him to spend the resources.)
Hmmmm. I am not very good with money issues or moral dilemmas, so I might have to abstain on this one.
*smooch* I hope that you figure it out and I won't judge you either way. (I cannot say that my halo is squeaky clean...)
Do it, but get it in writting you don't owe a thing for it. Would he want to try to sleep with you for it?
P.S. I can't wait till next season of Prision Break.
Post a Comment