My friend Tracy just got a new job, so I told her I'd like to take her out some night to celebrate. I had some gift certificates to the movie theater, so we decided to go last night. Unfortunately, neither of the movies we wanted to see were playing there. They were playing there Thursday, but not Friday. Pffffft! Bastards. So we decided to see "An American Haunting". I had no clue what it was, really. I hadn't seen any commercials for it, but Tracy had and she said it looked kinda scary... but that it was rated PG-13 so how scary could it really be? We decided to see it anyway, but we reeeeally should have paid more attention to the fact that it was rated PG-13. Not because of the scariness factor- because of the annoying, rude, inconsiderate teenager factor. Seriously, what is wrong with kids these days? When I was a teenager, I never acted the way most of these kids were acting. It would have never occurred to me to take off my flip flop and throw it around a movie theater. WTF? They were talking during the movie, talking- not whispering. They were flipping open their cell phones every 5 minutes for no apparent reason (I guess they just wanted everyone to see that they have a cell phone and are oh.so.cool.) and it was distracting because cell phones are really bright in a dark movie theater. They would get up and switch seats, go to the bathroom, go to get drinks, go to get popcorn. There was like an endless stream of people going in and out of the theater. It also was distracting. And the most annoying part-- this movie had a lot of jump-out-and-scare-you moments and I admit to jumping in my seat quite a few times. What I did not do, that every teenage girl in the movie did, was let out a blood-curdling scream every time something happened, and then giggle about it for the next 10 minutes. Every.fucking.time. Oh, I wanted to kill everyone in that theater.We had such headaches by the time it was over. Do they not realize that there are 100 other people trying to enjoy the movie? I guess they probably do, they just don't give a fuck. *sigh*
Or maybe it's just Tracy and me. We always attract the most annoying people to sit by us in movie theaters. Last night we had an older gentleman who felt the need to hock up a lugey every 20 minutes or so sitting behind us. It was really gross. Had it not been for all the screaming, he would have gotten the award for most annoying last night.
So, Tracy and I have basically decided to never go to a theater again. We almost never have a truly enjoyable time. I try really hard to just focus on the movie and not worry about anyone else, but it's hard. *sigh* At the very least, we will never again see a movie that isn't rated R!
Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, the movie wasn't even that good. What a waste of my gift certificates. Wahhhh!
Saturday, May 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

14 comments:
Well... being a mom to one of those annoying teenagers (the other teenager is NOT one of the annoying ones! *grin*), I can tell you for sure... do NOT ever go on a Friday night! Saturday night can be bad sometimes, but not like Friday. It seems that these kids feel all couped up with school during the week and go bananas on Friday.
The theatre around here is so chock full of teens on Friday that you can barely drive through the parking lot.
If we go to the movies, it is on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon or a night during the week. We have found those times to be much more conducive to movie watching.
I didn't mean any offense, Nutz, or to anyone else who might be the parent of an annoying teen. Heh. I'm just a cranky bitch, I fully admit that. :)
*smooch*
I feel a rant coming on, and I'm trying to keep it in, but I know what you're talking about, Jen. It makes you want to stand up and just scream at them and tell them to Shut.The.Fuck.UP.Already!
I am totally not offended. I was just offering advice because I've been there.
I can totally admit one of my kids IS a very annoying teen, just like one of those you speak about. *grin*
I don't blame myself for this because my other teen is soooo unlike her. It is definitely society, plus her nature that contributed to her annoyingness. (Is that a word?)
Additionally, if this kid were not my flesh & blood, I would not associate with her. Some of her friends are even worse. *rolls eyes*
I try very hard to not go places with her because, honestly, she can become embarrassing.
Thank goodness my son is not like her.
The local sheriffs all gather around the movie theater on Friday nights, right at 10 pm, curfew time.
I'd rather rent a movie, any day.
Sometimes we go to a midweek movie or a 5 pm show; less crowds.
I would have left. I get too easily annoyed by people being rude.
Next time you should take someone you can make out with. That makes the annoyances not seem nearly so bad. *grin*
I go to the theater as little as possible these days for this very reason. It's just no longer enjoyable. *smooch*
Lol, Jen. Soon you will be saying 'crackity' and tsk tsk' out loud!
Agree with the others who said avoid most Friday night shows if you can. Sometimes the theater management will give you refunds or free tickets to a future show if you decide to walk out before the halfway point because the crowd is uncontrolled. It's good PR for them to do so.
My local theater is pretty good in terms of people behaving, but still I like to sit in the front row of the stadium seats (there are still a few rows of "flat" seats before the screen.) I am pretty good at blocking out sounds so long as I don't have to watch the idjits too.
Most theaters here have a few rows of flat seats up close, then an access aisle with a row of handicap-accessible seats, then a bank of stadium seats. The rowdiest teens seem to groove towards the top of the stadium seating.
*makes note to find guy to make out with*
When we do go to the movies, we usually go to a matinee on Saturday. I'm not sure why we went on Friday night this time. Heh. Our theater was really crowded, so the annoying teens were spread out everywhere. There was no escaping them. LOL.
I hate going to the movies. Hate.it. Did I ever tell you the "it's gonna be Scream 3" story? *snort* Let's just say I did tell a couple girls to shut the fuck up. It was a nice coffee house movie theater. My ex and I used to like to go there and just chill. They had couches, loveseats, chairs and tables. It was really cool. They just happened to be playing Scream 2 that night. Most of the movie goers were normal but there were two girls sitting a few couches over that would not shut up. I politely asked them to shut the fuck up. They politely declined to do so. That is, until I stood up and made a move toward them. (What? I was only going to explain the concept of movie going to them. I'm a peace-loving creature.) So, after the movie, I go to the restroom. The restrooms are downstairs away from everything else. The two girls were in there being their loud obnoxious selves. I went to the stall at the end and one of the girls went to the stall beside me, banged on the wall and said loudly to her friend, "It's going to be Scream 3 in this bafroom." I gigglesnorted and finished my business and went out to wash my hands. They continued talking loudly but said nothing else to me until I went to open the door. They said something like "Later bitch." I turned to them and gave them a look. (Most likely a polite smile.) When I opened the door, my ex was standing there with some broom or something. I can't remember exactly what it was. LOL. I guess he thought I needed defending.
That theater sounds cool!
LOL at your story. I wish you had "explained the concept of movie going" to them. *grin*
It was very cool. (RIP)
I'm sorry you wasted your gift certificates. :(
Nookie & I will break out our death stares for you next time. We are good at that.
When I was a young teen (12-14), we'd go to movies often. I remember getting up constantly to go to the bathroom/hang out by bathrooms/make out by bathrooms. We'd whisper loudly & laugh when the guys started throwing candy.
I was dumb.
Post a Comment