Well, not hypothetical to me, since it happened to me last night, but I'm wondering what you all would think.
So imagine you're a 25 year old woman, living alone in an apartment building. You're coming home from Easter at mom's. You step into the elevator with a guy, maybe around your age, but it's hard to tell. You're both going to the same floor. He starts chatting with you. "How was your Easter? Your family live near here?" Then he gets a little more personal "What do you do? Where do you work? Do you like it? Do you live here with your family?" You continue to chat with him. Well, chat isn't really the word I guess, since he's basically asking 20 questions and you're just answering them without going into much detail. So now, you're out of the elevator and walking down the hall. He says "Where do you live?" You *blink blink* at him.
"Um. I live here."
"No, I mean which apartment?"
"Oh. Uh. Right there." *gestures vaguely down the hall*
"Oh. Nice and close." (Huh?)
So, he reaches his door and he's unlocking it, yet still talking to you as you continue on down the hall.
"What's your name, btw?"
"Jen."
"Nice to meet you, Jen. I'm Greg."
At this point I've reached my door. It's only 1 door down from him. I didn't really want him to know which apartment was mine, but I also wanted to get inside ASAP.
"Nice to meet you, too."
"Have a good day!"
"Yeah, you too." *scurries inside apartment*
The first thought that crossed my mind when I was inside was "Oh, great. Now this guy knows where I live and that I live here alone. I bet he's going to kill me."
So, did I overreact? Am I just a complete anti-social spazcase for thinking that just because some guy talked to me, and asked A LOT of questions, that he is plotting my demise? Or did I have reason to be a little creeped out? I mean, he wasn't threatening in any way. He seemed nice, just very inquisitive.
What would you think if you were me?
Monday, April 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 comments:
umm. hmm. I'd be paranoid but I'm a paranoid person. But you know, you saw him. I'm not saying all serial killers/rapists look like serial killers/rapists but did he seem like a serial killer/rapist? I think it's good that you were friendly but not too friendly. Maybe he was priming up to ask you out or is looking for a friend. Keep knives/mace with/near you at all times.
No, he didn't seem like a serial killer/rapist. Especially not while he was carrying a basket of laundry. Heh. I think he did say something about just moving to the area and not really liking it, so maybe he was just looking for a friend. Who knows?
*puts mace on shopping list*
whups. I mean pepper spray.
*scratches out mace on Jen's shopping list and writes pepper spray*
Who knows indeed. However, looking for a friend is a pretty safe bet.
I'd still feel better if you had weapons with you at all times. *smooch*
Twenty questions is about 17 questions too many. He's probably just an idiot who was trying despirately (and stupidly) to start a conversation with you, but just in case I wouldn't answer if someone knocks and it's his face you see in the peephole. Since he lives there you will likely see him around again so you don't have to answer just to be polite.
Now you need an answer ready in case he invites you for coffee or something. If he still gives you a funny vibe then tell him you have a boyfriend.
If you don't want to talk to him, call someone on your cell phone as soon as you see him (even an imaginary someone) and talk to them. A bit rude but he should get the message.
What Swami said. I wouldn't get over paranoid yet. Wait and see how long it is until the next time you have contact with him. He may be from one of those friendly states or somethin. *grin*
So, was he cute?
MM <--asking the important questions since...umm, right now.
I think if he asked me out, I would accept. It's not very often (um, more like absolutely never) that a guy asks me out, so I wouldn't want to turn down an opportunity. Unless he did something that REALLY creeped me out.
MM- Good question. :) He was alright. Not ugly by any means. Just kind of average, I guess. He had funny hair, he needed a trim.
You do realize that 20 Questions can be played by two people, right? And how long is this elevator ride?
I'd say to be cautious for a good while, then if he seems "normal", then you can become friendlier. But, always carry your pepper spray!
Swami gave good advice.
Momma, what do you mean by that?
Momma, I'm not sure what you mean by that either. 2 people were playing 20 questions. He was asking questions and I was answering them. *shrug*
It's not a very long elevator ride. 5th floor, so maybe 3 minutes total, including the trip down the hall.
Silly peeps... I think what momma meant was you could've asked him questions too, Jen... LOL!
Next time, ask him where he's from, if he's a serial killer, if he wants to ask you out, etc., then you'll have all your answers!
I would just be a little cautious, but he probably was just trying to make a friend in his new surroundings.
Was he from somewhere else? Depending on where you are raised, chatting to neighbours is normal or freaky. I used to talk to random people (bus stop, waiting for elevator, neighbours) until I got snubbed several times and my delicate ego just couldn't handle it. (The worst was right after I moved down here, said hello to my landlady and she literally jumped in the air)
I have some friends from England and it pretty much seems they would talk to a lampost if there was noone around. I alsao read an article (by a British guy) complaining that anytime they talked to a girl, it was assumed they wanted to sleep with them. He was like, I'm married, I'm just saying hello.
Oh, but to answer your question. I would reply in grunts and hide in my apartment and then feel odd about it.
Hi Bob.
No, I don't think he is from somewhere else. He said he was thinking of moving back to his hometown and I asked where that was and it was another city here in northeastern Ohio.
I say hello to people in my building all the time, chat about the weather, say have a nice day, etc. None of that is strange to me. But I never go into personal details, which is why this guy caught me off guard.
As Bob said chatting with neighbors can be normal. Around here it is rude not to chat when you see your neighbor out, whether you know them or not.
My question to him would have been, want to go out for coffee sometime?
Post a Comment