I went to Big Lots tonight. I spent an insane amount of money, especially for Big Lots. But I'm happy with the things I got. I think. I can't remember everything I bought. It's all still down in the trunk of my car because I had other stuff to bring up to my apartment when I got home and I didn't feel like making 2 trips. The things I'm most excited about? Gee, guess. Give up? Yeah, it's make-up. I bought yet another palette of browns. A girl can never have too much brown eyeshadow. *grin* I also bought some Revlon Colorstay mascara. I'm anxious to try it because I've heard the Colorstay stuff is supposed to be good. I have been loyal to my Maybelline Full 'N Soft mascara for awhile now, but hey, the Revlon stuff was only $2. :)
Other purchases include: new mini-blinds for my bedroom, rubber floor mats for my car so my new ones don't get all yucky with snow gunk, a new broom and mop (as if I clean my kitchen. ha!), shampoo/conditioner, liquid hand soap, kleenex, oven mitts, hangers... ummm, that's all I can remember right now.
I still have more shopping to do. I really, really need a microwave cart for my kitchen. I have no counter space anymore. I've found a fairly cheap one at Target, but I'm not sure yet if it will fit my microwave or not. I also want to buy this Rubbermaid laundry basket with wheels on it.. much easier to tote down to the laundry room or to my mom's house. But, the thing is, Target doesn't appear to sell it in the stores. It says it's only available online, and I am not paying $12 for shipping when the thing only costs $20 to begin with. Pffft.
Wow. Fascinating post, isn't it?
Edited to add some pics of my kitchen. :) I remember saying on someone's blog (Swami's?) that I would post a pic showing how little counter space I had. So here they are.
First, a full view of my kitchen. Tiny, isn't it?

The next 2 pics are close-ups of the only usable counter space that I have. It's ridiculous. No wonder I never bother to cook anything. There's nowhere to work! Need.kitchen.cart.


Yeah, that's the Egg & Muffin toaster in the middle there. I know you're all so jellus. *grin*

19 comments:
Hi!!!
Iggy! *smooch*
*soooo glad Iggy is still alive*
Looks clean to me! Hey, I've already told you I have always wanted to live in an apartment, so I'm definitely jealous. But you *do* need some more counter space. Do you have any furniture consignment stores near you where you might find a microwave cart cheaper than Target's?
We have a Big Lots but I never go there. I guess I should check it out. I used to lvoe it before I got married, back when it was called McFrugals, or something like that. Then Wal-Mart came...*sigh*
*smooch*
p.s. I've never really liked red wine. White is ok though.
I know that kitchen! *grin*
I dragged Shawn to Big Lots last week because we hadn't been there in a long time. We got next to nothing. (shampoo and conditioner, bird seed, popcorn, garlic salt and I think that might be it) I told him we used to love to go there so I thought it would be fun. It wasn't. *sigh*
We don't have much more counter space than you do and our kitchen is rather large. I'm not sure how to remedy that. Should we get an island?
oh. wine is ew. :)
I don't think we have a Big Lots here. We do have a Dollar Store though. I love that store and all of it's cheap little gadgets. *grin*
MM- That's one good thing about having a crappy camera phone-- it doesn't have a very clear picture, so you can't see how icky my kitchen is! *grin*
I have no idea if there are any consignment stores around here. I've never even thought of that.
McFrugals. *snort*
Glow- I can't say my trip to Big Lots was "fun", but I did get some stuff that I needed, so it was a worthwhile trip.
You're right about your kitchen. It is big, but there's not a lot of space. An island with some cabinets underneath to store bigger appliances might work good for you.
Carey- The Dollar Store was going to be my next stop if I couldn't find what I wanted at Big Lots. :)
Yes, that is not much counter space. Do you have a table somewhere that you use if you need prep space?
I have never been to a Big Lots. Is there a Super Target near you? The Super T's carry most of the online stuff.
I need to go to Target soon.
No, Swami. I don't have a table. Stupid tiny little kitchen.
If I ever figure out what I'm going to do with my old desktop computer, I could probably put a small dining room table over there where my computer desk is now.
I don't think we have Super Targets here. *jellus!*
Iggy? Wow. Good to see Iggy.
Where will you put the microwave cart? Will you put it in the dining room and store some appliances in it?
I like all your spices. There are spice racks that attach the the wall. There are also some appliances that can fit under the upper kitchen cabinets. Perhaps some of the things on the counter could be attached to the wall or under the cabinets. But that requires buying new stuff and who wants to do that?
Keep on drinking the red wine. It's good for you. And drink it with dark chocolate. It can be your new health food regimen!
Puffy- I didn't take a pic of the other end of my kitchen because it was way too messy, but there is some open space there where I keep my garbage can and a small table where I keep my phone, mail, and keys. There would be room over there for the microwave cart.
If I get the one I'm thinking of I would put the spice rack, George Foreman grill, blender, and cookbook on the lower shelves. That would free up a lot of space.
I've had that kitchen before! Hence why living with BIL and his non-dish doing/cooking crazy lifestyle made me INSANE.
Our Big Lots is in a far part of town, so I never go there.
I love red wine! Keep trying different kinds. You'll find the perfect kind. Too many white drinkers hop right to a Merlot or Cabernet and then decide they hate all red wine. There are other, less dry reds. Try a red blend. They are usually a little softer. Shiraz and Zinfadel blends will be less dry, on average.
Heh. Good call, Kim. It was a Cabernet I was drinking. Someone had sent us a wine and cheese basket for Christmas, and the 2 bottles of wine (Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon) were still sitting around our office, so I took the one home last night.
Maybe next time I go to the grocery I will pick up a Shiraz. I think that's a cool word. *grin*
And a little wine factoid for you: Shiraz and Syrah are the same grape. They call it Shriaz in Australia and Syrah in France. Silly peeps.
I have something in the basement that could possibly work as a temporary island.
Do you want to come over? :)
Try it and see if you like it, then you could get a more permanent one.
Sure! :)
*steamrolls Jen*
I think you should just hire a cook. He can double as a massage dude too. Oh and duster.
OH I love red wine. Yummmmm....try it wiht dark chocolate.
*fixes egg sandwich*
Looks like plenty of room to me.
Post a Comment