Thursday, February 03, 2005

Switchfoot

Continuing with my melancholy mood tonight... Switchfoot is a band. A Christian Rock band. For anyone who really knows me, you know that the idea of me liking a Christian rock band is absurd. And for those who don't really know me yet, let me tell you that I am an Atheist. I don't like Christian anything. Anyway, I heard a couple of their songs on the radio and really liked them, so I bought the cd. I am really moved by some of their songs... not because of the Christian angle, because they make me think... not about my "religion", but about my life. Anyway, here are a few lines that make me cry/think about my life. Mostly cry, but that's not surprising, considering I cry at the drop of a hat. LOL. I hope they convey the message without hearing the entire song.

"We were meant to live for so much more"

"Maybe we've been living with our eyes half open, maybe we're bent and broken"

"Yesterday is a wrinkle on your forehead.... yesterday is dead and over"

"This is your life, are you who you want to be? This is your life, is it everything you dreamed it would be, when the world was younger and you had everything to lose?" **

"Don't close your eyes, this is your life."

"I'm not givin' up, not backing down. I want more than fine, more than 'just ok'" **

"I dare you to move. I dare you to lift yourself up off the floor. I dare you to move like today never happened." **

"Between who you are and who you could be... between how it is and how it should be."


These are just lines from the first 5 songs. I listen to them over and over. I haven't even listened to the whole cd yet! LOL. I am just paraphrasing here, and mixing some of the words around so that they make sense... so any Switchfoot fans- don't be offended! I know this isn't exactly what the songs say. *smile*

And if this doesn't make any sense, forgive me. I'm drunk. *grin*

**- make me really bawl!

3 comments:

Bravie said...

Hey sweetie,
I'm with you on the whole religion thing. But sometimes a song or something comes along that is spiritual in nature and really knocks me out, makes me think and ponder. It's great when something can impact you like that.
It's good when a song can make you cry. It means that you really understood it and identified with it and that is a good thing. As long as you can identify with things, good or bad, it means you are living and growing.
You aren't alone, and you know that, in how you feel and you also know that we are all here for you anytime you need anything.
And like Steph said, come on over to our side of the fence. You don't know what you are missing. *grin*

Jen said...

You know what I was thinking this morning? Uh, isn't Christian music supposed to be uplifting? This stuff just brings me down. They must be doing it wrong. Heh.

Thank you both for you words of support. Love you both. *smooch*

DanielT said...

Perhaps it brings you down because you aren't making the most out of your life... Ergo, make the most out of your life!

I like the lyrics, at least, your paraphrased versions. I've been struggling with just such a predicament lately... to blaze my own trail so to say... I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do it... "Between who you are and who you could be..." yeah, I'm trying to move to who I could be. Won't life be so much better if do? I mean, I can't kid myself, it will still be a struggle, but, it will have meaning, and that would be grand. Am I spooging my inner thoughts all over your blog?? Yep...