Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Supply lovin' dork

We got new phones in the office today. I am so excited about them. I get to program all the quick-dial numbers and make up a little excel template for the directory. They're so nice and new. And they have silver on them! (Duh. I picked them out. Like I wouldn't get a phone with silver accents.) Oh! And I got stackable trays for my desk. Now that pile of paper that I always have on the corner of my desk has a home. *dorkily basks in new office supply glow* Sometimes I miss working at Staples. :D

In other news, I'm getting, hm, what's the word? Fed up? Discouraged? Yes, I guess discouraged best describes how I'm feeling about my diet. I think I'm doing really good with my food choices, but I'm not seeing the results I want. I keep gaining and losing the same 5 pounds. Today I have lost 9 pounds, but who knows what the scale will tell me tomorrow. *sigh* But I will press on. I have to do this.

Not smoking is pretty much a breeze. I think about cigarettes every once in awhile, but I've never gotten an urge to go and buy a pack. I have had very few cravings. I think the fact that I only smoked for like 2 years instead of 20 is making it easier for me than most people.

I was feeling really down yesterday (mostly because of the diet thing) and so I cheered myself up by watching videos of Benji from So You Think You Can Dance. I love that freaking show. He is just so adorable. He makes me smile. :)

18 comments:

mm said...

Hey you! To me, it sounds like you are doing awesome (on the diet and smoking front). I was watching a late night showing of Oprah (which I NEVER watch) and it was about dieting. They were saying to try to not weigh yourself often, as that is the biggest source of frustration for people. If you are really making better choices, it *will* show, but the scale may not be the right place to look. Just a thought.

As for the smoking, when my DH quit, he never once had a craving or looked back. It was easy for him. I know for the majority, it is not, though. I'm really glad you are sticking to it, and that so far, it hasn't been too hard on you.

Keep it up! :)

mtw said...

*smooches* Jen!

The nice thing about doing both smoking and the diet is that you get some instant gratification (the no-smoking thing) and some delayed gratification.

Since many people gain weight after quitting smoking, maybe your diet is counteracting that right now more than it's resulting in weight loss. And at least you *have* some weight loss to report.

You can do it girl!

Jen said...

MM- Usually when I diet, I weigh myself once a week. However I was watching the Today Show one morning, and they said to weigh yourself every day so that you can closely monitor what foods make you gain weight. (Every "expert" has a theory about what is best these days. *rolls eyes*) I'll probably go another week or two of weighing myself every day so I can get a good idea, and then switch back to once a week. I agree that it's not good to weigh yourself too much, but I'm just trying this out for awhile.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. *smooches*

Zombs said...

Heyyyy Jen!

Good for you! I will be joining in on the weight loss train in 3 months so I can empathize!

I quit smoking on New Year's Day 2000. So it has been about 6 1/2 years! I think I cheated once. About 3 months after I stopped and I had just one. Horrible. But I was glad I did it cause it helped.

I still get cravings occasionally. Ironically they have been recently. But I guess it is good cause I definately can't have one now. You can do it!

It is good to let some people know about changing you habits so they wont' encourage you back to old ways. Sometimes a switch goes off in your head and it is the right time to make changes. That time is the time it usually sticks.

But I commend you for doing both at once!

Immunegirl said...

*smooches* Good job Jen!! I think you are doing great. :)

Puffy said...

*chants* Go Jen! Go Jen! Go Jen!

Bravie said...

You're doing great, babe. There will be ups and downs. just stick to it. And it sounds like you are. *hugs*
And great job on the smoking too.

Anonymous said...

hey Jen, I'll email you later tonight, I haven't been home this afternoon.

*smooch*

Zombs said...

Jen! Look! *points up* A diet soda is posting on your blog!

~Nutz said...

Keep going girl! Don't get discouraged! If you feel down, just order more new office supplies! *grin*

Breezy said...

Keep up the good work!

Oh and I need paperclips. *grin*

kim (weltek) said...

I used to love office supplies, but now I loate organizing my office. Too much paperwork to deal with. I bet your new stuff is purdy, though.

It takes time for the new way of eating to really make a noticeable impact. Diets make a quicker impact, but aren't as maintainable long term. If you really are just making better food choices, it will take longer to show. Totally worth it in the long run, though.

Aislinn Sirk said...

Maybe you need a hobby, like ice sculpture or race car driving.

or assasin.

kim (weltek) said...

I have a deal for you. I'll give you unlimited access to ordering supplies needed for my office if you'll organize it.

Jen said...

Woohoo, Kim! That sounds awesome. I love organizing things. :D

BlindSlim~CSTL said...

Dont worry about the numbers too much. It sounds like you've adapted very healthy eating habits and in time the weight will start to drop off too. Your body is probably just getting used to your new routine.

Congratulations on the smoking thing. It only took me a day to quit. But then again I was a wimp smoker. I smoked for about a week back in middle school-junior high (i cant remember which) and the next week in health class they told us what it could do to you and I quit right away.

Anonymous said...

*smooch* I just *heart* you bunches.

I love, love, love supplies. OMG. We could be supply twins. I just bought a rolling cart for my office to keep my students files in so that I wouldn't have to drag around a box anymore.

I do not like programming phones. Of any kind. We bought a new fax machine, and I would rather just punch the numbers out every single time than have to program it. But I'm a memorizer so I don't really have a problem with that.

And I also want to hug and smooch you for quitting smoking. Yay
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps your next assignment should be to program some links on your blog. I give you permission to do me.