Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Uhhhh. Hi.

I don't have much to update about. I've been in a real funk lately. And it's that time of the month and I am just blah.

I have to get a new car in January so I have been looking around online and paying more attention to cars on the road. Back in 2003 when I got my current car, an Acura RSX, I was also looking at the Mazda 6. It was brand new then and I loved the way it looked, inside and out. But then I decided that I didn't want a 4 door car. I didn't need something that big. I rarely have other passengers in my car, so a 2 door was fine. But I still loved the Mazda 6 and I figured that would be my next car. 4 years later, I still don't need a 4 door car, but I think I would like it for the ease of just throwing stuff in the backseat and I'd also like to have something that sits a little higher because the world is being overrun by SUV's and it's really not safe for little coupes anymore. Anyway, now that I am paying more attention to cars on the road, I am noticing that the 6's are everywhere! And that kind of turns me off. I don't want a car that everyone else has. That is one thing I loved about my Acura when I got it, there were hardly any other people in my area driving it. Until they built an Acura dealership in the area, that is. Heh. There is also a Mazda 3, which has the same look as the 6, but it is a little smaller and cheaper. I am considering this too.
I think the main contender in my line-up right now is the Saturn Ion Quad Coupe. It has a lot of what I am looking for. A coupe with 4 doors! Genius! *grin* But really, I think it is very cool that it has little doors to make getting in the backseat easier, and I can still keep the sportier coupe style that I like. (Side note: I keep typing couple. It's getting annoying.) There is a Saturn dealership right down the street from me, but this car is not a common sight on the roads. Add in the price and features, and I think this car might be a good one for me.

Other cars I am considering:

Honda Civic. Eh. Another car that everyone drives, but the price might be right. I don't know whether I would go for another coupe or step up to the sedan.

Pontiac G5. Very cool looking car. I saw one on the road and it caught my eye.

Chevy Cobalt. I'm basically only looking into this car because I saw one that was my favorite shade of purple. Yeah, I can be a total girl when it comes to car shopping. I want pretty colors! :) (Side note: What is up with color choices these days? Black, white, silver, tan or red. That's what most have to offer. Bo-ring! What about a nice blue or green or purple? I've had 2 silver cars and my current car is black. I'd like an actual color, other than red because I hate red, but it looks like I might be going back to silver. Which isn't too bad because it is my favorite color after all.)

Toyota Corolla. I haven't done much research on this one yet, but it's on my list to check out.

So that's how I've been spending a lot of my days. Building and pricing cars. I'll probably get out and start test driving next month. I hope I can find a car that I really like, but that costs a little less than what I pay now. If I want to have any hope of moving to a new apartment/townhouse next year, I need to cut back on some expenses. *sigh*

I had pictures of all the cars, but blogger won't let me add them. Big surprise. *rolls eyes*

Phew. That was boring. Sorry. :)

27 comments:

arkie said...

I completely understand about the color issue. Of course, that was really the only part of the post that I understand. I wanted to buy a Saturn several years ago because the one I was looking at was this darling shade of lilac. *grin*

Glowie said...

Ford Fusion

Jen said...

I'll try and add pics again later, Arkie. So you can at least get an idea of the cars I'm talking about. :)

Thanks, Glow! They make that car in purple! Woo! (Plus I can use my mom's BF's X-Plan thingy.)

Zombs said...

Jeep Wrangler!

Puffy said...

Let's see, I think Lightsy, Mom2bjm, and I all got new cars this weekend. Arkie and Augie got new cars in the last few months. We looked at the Civic (which also comes in a hybrid) and the Prius. Mr. Puffy has an Acura. We're going to a concert this weekend and all Acuras park for free! I wish there were more color choices available, too.

momma said...

I got my Nissan Sentra a few months ago, but it's more sedan-ish with a sporty flair than anything. I like the Fusion - it's cute too. Umm...others that were cute are the Hyundais.

Oh, and with the Mazda, check with Mom's BF about his Ford plan. Ford also owns some (or maybe all) of Mazda.

Bravie said...

My first car was a Toyota Corolla. It was a great car. I think it had over 200,000 miles on it when it finally died. I sold it when it had 120,000 and I still saw it out on the road for a good 10 years after I sold it. Same license plate and everything. :)

mm said...

I'm partial to Toyotas, but it's true, they're everywhere. What a fun decision! (well, kinda, but also stressful, I guess)

Go for the color!

Glowie said...

I'm a Ford girl and you didn't have any Fords listed. I couldn't have that. And I want a Fusion. :-)

Anonymous said...

I don't think you're boring. I think you're adorable.

Michael just bought a Suburban. I didn't think I'd like it, but I love it. We were thinking about me keeping his Tahoe, but we decided that I'll keep my car for now.

I know people hate SUVs. But I love them. And I think it also makes a difference when you have to haul around so much crap. :)

I'm excited that you're getting a new car. But I don't know any of those ones you're talking about.

Jen said...

Zombs- When I was a kid I really wanted a Jeep or a truck. I don't know why. I wouldn't even consider getting one now.

Puffy- That's cool about the free parking! I would totally lease another Acura but every other model is way out of my price range.

Momma- I love the Nissan Altima, but again, out of my price range. And yes, my mom said that Gary could get the plan on Mazda, too. Yay!

Carey- I've never liked the look of the Corolla before, but it's looking more sporty these days. I still have to research it.

MM- I have always longed for a Toyota Solara, but surprise! out of my price range. And I used to lust after the Celica, but apparently they don't make them anymore. :(

Glow- I can't get the Fusion. It is basically the same car that my mom just got (Mercury Milan).

Boo- *smooch* for saying I'm adorable. :)

kevingrout said...

My in-laws just bought a Dodge Caliber. Not sure if you guys have them down there yet.

They are cool-looking, and come in various colors, so you may wish to check them out.

We have a Suzuki Aerio hatchback, which has been great for the past four years. Not many people realize that Suzuki is the #1 seller in Japan, ahead of both Toyota and Honda. They just haven't really caught on over here yet. Which means we have one of the only ones around here.

Glowie said...

hello? A Mercury and a Ford are NOT the same thing. *grin* Did she get a purple one? Is there some rule that you can't have the same type of car?

Surveysez said...

Too bad Gremlins aren't still around. One of them would at least be distinctive.

Swami said...

I'm not a car person so I skimmed over most of that. I don't recognize most cars. I just like to pick the color. I like green cars and mustard colored cars. And I like vehicles where you ride up high.

Puffy said...

Jen! I'm selling my Celica. Come and get it.

Anonymous said...

you have an email, Jen. :)

~Nutz said...

What fun! ...but it's very hard to choose with so many choices, ain't it? Make sure to test drive them all!

*pushes Swami's easy button*

Bravie said...

Joshua Jackson is on a local talk show right now. Are you sure he isn't gay? He sits with his legs crossed in a very girly way.
*runs*

Jen said...

*chases Carey down and runs her over*

What? It's a car post.

yvonne said...

I love getting new cars! Except for that whole payment thing, it's fantastic.

I just bought a Ford Escape (SUV). Did I need an SUV? Nope. But I wanted one. And part of the reason I got it was so I could see over the other trucks, vans, and SUVs on the road. So I'm contribuiting to the problem for other little car riders. *grin*

Aren't the 'build your car' tools on the websites loads of fun?

Bravie said...

Jen loves a gay guy, Jen loves a gay guy. *runs faster*

Jen said...

*gets in Augie's SUV and mows Carey down*

Bravie said...

gay boy lover. *points and laughs*

mm said...

Count me in a gay boy lover then. That boy is HOT!

*high fives Jen*
*then steals Joshua*

kim (weltek) said...

I liked Catt's Saturn. The little doors in back are handy. I still prefer a regular 4 door, but the Saturn short doors a nice compromise if you don't need a full four.

Really think about the Civic & Corolla. Are you keeping the car for a long time? Then it's probably a great investment. Are you primarily looking at gas mileage? Do the math & look at purchase price vs. cheaper small cars...and the amount of money in gas you'd save.

Cars are such a personal decision. Sigh. Too many choices.

Jen said...

*whacks MM*

It won't be an investment, Kim. I'm a leaser. I'm ready for a new car after 3-4 years. Heh. I'll have to ask Catt how she likes her car. I didn't know she had the quad coupe thing. I am putting more thought into the Civic now, too. They are supposed to be really good cars and they are cheaper than some of the ones I'm looking at.