I always thought those people who stood outside stores at 4am on Black Friday were crazy. Hell, even the people who went shopping after noon were nuts! So someone please explain to me why I am about to go to Best Buy at 3 am to stand in line for 2 hours, in hopes of getting a laptop that I probably have no realistic chance of getting? I can't believe I'm really going to do this. I've gone off the deep end.
Wish me luck!
UPDATE:
No laptop for Jen. :( Looooooong, sleepless, grumpy story: When we arrived at 3:15, the line at Best Buy was too ridiculous to even consider waiting in. It was wrapped around 3 sides of the building. There was a Staples right next door that also had a laptop deal, and there were only about 20 people waiting. But they didn't open until 6 and my mom didn't want to wait that long. So off we went to Kohls because they opened at 5 and there were a few things my mom wanted. When we arrived, there were 6 people waiting in line. We stayed in the car until about 4:15 and then we went and stood in line because it was starting to get pretty busy. By the end, I'd guess there were about 250 people waiting, and we were somewhere around #50. Right before 5, people started getting out of their cars and just waiting in the parking lot in front of the doors. Huge line of people? What huge line of people? I'm superior to them and I should get to go ahead of all these other people who've been standing in the cold for an hour. Fucking assholes. I thought there might be a riot because the people around me in line started screaming at the line jumpers. No suck luck, no punches were thrown. But it was pretty hilarious.
This being my first time with the Black Friday madness, I wasn't really sure what to expect. I mean, yeah, ya hear the stories of people beating each other up over a Tickle-Me-Elmo, but surely that won't happen here. Heh. I have to tell you, the way those people ran in the store and started snatching up the portable dvd players was amazing. I got an immediate mental picture of a swarm of pihranas attacking some fresh meat. LOL. I suddenly understood how it could get out of control, FAST. All the dvd players were wiped out within about 2 minutes. I could've grabbed one had I wanted one, but I didn't. My mom started to go a little crazy too, running around in a panic, looking for the items she wanted (a fake pre-lit christmas tree and a 13-in-1 game table). She found them, grabbed one of the last few and off we went to the checkout. All-in-all, it wasn't too bad. We were outta there by 5:30. Just a half hour of craziness.
So then we went back to the Staples, who was opening at 6. Surprise, surprise- the line was much longer now. But I waited anyhow. When I finally got into the store and asked about the laptop, I was told that they had handed out tickets and you had to have one to get the laptop. *sigh* I was really pissed. If we had just waited when we were there at 3:30 when there were only 20 other people, I'm sure I could've gotten one. But noooo. We had to go to Kohls for a stupid fake tree and a game table. *rolls eyes* Oh, and Staples had police guarding the front of the line so that people couldn't jump in. The lady in line behind me told me that last year someone had cut in line and was promptly beaten to a pulp. Insane.
So then I was determined to get a deal for all my troubles. I mean, I'm not staying awake all night and freezing my tush off to come away empty handed, dammit! :) There had been some dvds that were really good prices at Best Buy. The line was gone now (everyone was inside the store, of course) and we decided to check it out. Success! I got:
Prison Break, Season 1 ($20, regularly $50)
Arrested Development, Season 3 ($10, regularly $25)
50 First Dates ($3)
Big Fish ($3)
Fight Club ($5)
The checkout line was ridiculous. It started in the very back of the store and wound up and down through the aisles of the appliance section. I think we waited about 30 minutes just to check-out.
So I didn't get my laptop *megapout* but at least I got something. And now I can say that I have experienced Black Friday and I never have to do it again! LOL. I got home around 8am and crashed until about 1. I think I'll go watch some Prison Break goodness now. *grin*
Oh, and I'll probably buy my laptop from Dell later on today. It's about $150 more than the ones I was hoping to get this morning, but it's still a good deal. Not a go-out-shopping-at-3am-with-the-other-crazies deal, but a good deal nonetheless. :)
UPDATE, PART DEUX:
Why, why, why is it neccessary to put security tape on all 3 sides of a dvd and then wrap it in plastic? It took me 5 minutes to to peel the tape off of 1 dvd! Grrrrrrr!
Friday, November 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Good luck, crazy woman.
They showed the Best Buy lines on my TV and they were badass lines. Some lady somewhere got literally kicked around by a bunch of young guys but she held out and scored her 'puter.
I hope there's not too many people in line ahead of you!
Wow, I hope you get it, Jen! DH drove past our Best Buy last night, because he wanted a TV that's on sale, and the line was already really long (at least 50 people!) and that was at 7pm!
*crosses fingers for Jen*
I agree. You're insane. But that's a good thing, yes?
Yup you crazy!
Although I have to say I love the movie Big Fish!
Mmmmm...Ewan.
I went to the craft store at 6 pm on Friday to get a gingerbread house to make with the kids...normally $10 on sale for $7! It was empty.
Zombs<---does not go to cool stores.
We went to Best Buy today, Saturday, not knowing what to expect. We got there around 10:30, no lines. We bought a TV for my mother-in-law, and had no wait to check out. I guess the entire town went yesterday so the store was empty today.
*sa mooch* ya nut
Wow! I'm impressed you got up that early!
Sorry you didn't get what you wanted, but you still got some good deals. Big Fish is such an unexpectedly great movie.
Got up, Kim? I never went to bed! :)
People are not nice on Black Friday. And little boys need to be very careful and hold their mommie's hand and ride in the cart.
I got no lecture for insane women wanting laptops.
Wow, Jen, you really are crazy. I hadn't seen your entry when I did mine, BTW.
I really wanted that Arrested Development DVD too. I went to Best Buy Friday evening, but it was too late. I also went to Circuit City armed with my Best Buy ad hoping for a price match, but they were out of stock too.
I wouldn't wait in line at Best Buy at 3am if they were giving away FREE laptops.
Post a Comment