I wasn't planning on doing another post about guitar class last night, since I figure it's pretty boring, but since I don't have anything else to talk about and since people are asking how it went, I guess I will. (Thank you all for asking, btw.)
The class was fine. We learned a new chord (D) and he claims that next week we will be learning a song. I don't see how that is possible. Heh. I think he said the song would be "Country Roads". Not exactly my cup of tea. *snort* But it should be fun (and frustrating) to try and play an actual song.
I can't really even play right now because my fingers are so sore, so that bums me out. I know I need to play more so that I can toughen up my fingers and form callouses, but right now I can't even press down on the chords hard enough to make sound. I just make this *thunk* sound. It's not pleasant. And it's embarrassing in class when the other 2 girls are playing nicely and I'm going *thunk, thunk, thunk*. I'm going to try just doing the finger placement (which will help to toughen up my fingers since I'll still be working on the strings) and not worry about strumming for a few days, because I get frustrated when I can't make it sound right. I also need to work on how I hold my thumb. That is messing me up as well.
At one point during class he was asking us to move from one chord to another (a new move that he hadn't taught us yet) and apparently I did it perfectly and he got all excited and said "Yes! Just like that. Do it again so they can see." and of course once he put me on the spot, I couldn't do it again! My fingers started flying everywhere! I don't like people looking at me! LOL. It's all very laid back though. Even though I feel self conscious most of the time, I don't think anyone is judging me, so that is good. Everyone is really nice. The teacher gives us lots of reassurance that we're doing good, and this is the hardest stage. When I was leaving he said I was doing great. Of course he's lying, but it's nice to hear. *grin*
Wednesday, October 04, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

36 comments:
I'm proud of you. I love you.
"Country Roads" is cheesy but there are a few kind of okay lines.
“life is old there. Older than the trees”
“I hear her voice in the morning she calls me. The radio reminds me of my home far away. Driving down the road I get a feeling that I should have been home yesterday."
Not a song to be overly excited about learning but learning a song at all is thrilling.
I swear I saw fingertip protector thingies somewhere.
Sounds like you have a good teacher. Encouragement is so important when learning new things. I bet you are doing better than you think. You're your own worst critic.
*proud hugs*
Ooh. Wait a minute. Isn't "Country Roads" the song that Tweener was singing in the car a few episodes ago, Glow? I'll just picture him singing when I'm playing and that will be exciting. *grin*
Thanks, Kim. I know I am definitely hard on myself, and the teacher does make me feel like I'm doing ok. *hugsback*
Doh! I thought you were going to learn the John Denver song "Take me home, country road" LOL.
I'm so glad to hear you went to the 2nd class Jen. I can honestly say that I don't know whether I'd have the courage to do that so I'm extremely proud of you. *HUGS*
*sings*
"Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West virginia, mountain momma
Take me home, country roads"
Uh. That's what I thought "Country Roads" was too, Nookie. It's not?
*confused*
I don't remember Tweener singing it. :( Tweener!!!! *cries*
Nookie likes to confuse people.
When he and the girl were driving to Utah they were listening to the radio and a news report about the prisoners came on and he changed the channel and started singing along to John Denver. And she was like "You like this song" and he's all "Yeah. He's the shit" or something. Remember? It was so cute. :)
*whacks Nookie*
Why don't I remember that? waaaaaaaaah Tweener!!!!!
I don't think she intentionally likes to confuse people. heh.
"after all I believe that you're still a star. cold and scarred. ohoooohohoh"
Double DOH! So, you really are referring to the John Denver tune. *gigglesnort*
Nookie <---- likes to have other peeps just as confused as her
And, who the heck is Tweener?
What kind of name is that?
Ha! Youtube rocks! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsDosZ8wM-Y
Tweener is a character on Prison Break, Nookie. It's his prison nickname. :) Watch the clip I just posted. He's cute. *grin*
I can't watch youtube at work!!!!!
*smooches to my nook nook*
I can't watch those things either. I'll take your word for it :-)
*smoochies for Jen & my Glowie*
And now, I have that dern song in my head.
*shakes head*
OUT DAMN SONG! OUT!
I love Country Roads. I love John Denver.
Good god did I just admit that? Please don't tell anyone.
Tell him that you want to learn "Grandma's feather bed" I love that song too.
Ooooh and "Thank God I'm a country boy"
*sigh* I miss Jonh Denver.
What were we talking about? Oh, Tweener. Yeah, I miss him already. He redeemed himself this season. Poor Tweener.
*stares at Carey in shock and horror*
*prepares mass email announcing her love for all things John Denver*
Well, I got me a fine wife,
I got me old fiddle
When the sun's comin' up
I got cakes on the griddle
Life ain't nothin' but
a funny, funny riddle
Thank God I'm a country boy
Yeeeeeehaaaaaaw!
You can't fool anyone. You are glad you signed up after all.
Can't you put some rubbery tipped thing on your fingertips?
I have a John Denver CD.
waaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!! I just watched it. I remember now.
I have a box set, Carey. heh.
Jen won't know what this is because she's a youngin, but all of my John Denver is on vinyl.
I remember road trips with my family as a kid, driving across the country from California to Virginia and singing along to the 8 track player playing John Denver, Patti Page and many more. *sigh* the good old days when I was young and unaffected.
Did I have a point?
Oh, yes, I did. My point was that I have fond memories of John Denver.
Except!!! When I hear "Rocky Mountain high, Colorado". That's the song from Final Destination and scares me when I hear it.
/buzzed post
LMAO Carey. That is *exactly* what I think of when I think of John Denver. (Final Destination, not long car trips to Virginia. *grin*)
I forget where we were but Michelle and I heard that song...oh, it was in Vegas, we heard that song and almost ran out of the casino. *snort*
*sits with Bravie* I love John Denver. I used to be able to play all his tunes. *sigh* Maybe I should get my guitar back out.
They do sell things for the fingertips, but you really should build up the calluses.
Breezy- how long does it take to build up calluses? Do you know? My fingertips are all kind of numb and they are thicker skinned now, but they still hurt like a mofo when I start to play.
Man, I love the Final Destination movies. LOVE THEM!
Carey got me FD 1&2 for my birthday. *smile*
When I hear Rocky Mountain High, I always think of Rocky Mountain oysters & gag a little.
Oooh, I actually know the correct words to that song.
Yay for you Jen, I'm proud.
Now if we could just get you to add some links. :)
Links to what, boo?
It looks and feels very strange when Breezy calles me Bravie.
It's also weird when out on the boards some of you call me Knockers or Bravie when I am used to you not calling me those names.
I think lately I have been calling you Carey on the boards. If I have to call you something else (like if I'm responding to someone who might not know who Carey or Bunkers is) then I would choose to call you Bravie. I hate calling you Knockers. *shudder*
I don't mind it when people call me Jen on the boards, or Star, or Stah, but for some reason I hate when people call me SS. Heh.
Yeah, on the boards I prefer to be called Bravie by those who know me. To me Knockers is a generic name given to me when I first joined. I don't cringe or anything like that, I just like Brave, Bravie or such better.
Okay, it's official. I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind. Congrats on signing up for the class, attending the first and going back for the second session! Yay! I need to find Rotten1 a guitar class soon or he's going to drive me batshitinsane.
I like John Denver too.
Post a Comment