Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Sappy love songs

How I love them so.

I was in my bedroom this past weekend, taking a clothes inventory and seeing how it would all fit in my suitcase, when a song came on the radio. I had never heard it before, but it grabbed my attention immediately. I sat down and listened to the words and started to bawl my eyes out. It really spoke to me, perhaps because one of my greatest fears is that I will die alone, never having had someone to love me. *sigh*

"I Will Follow You Into the Dark" by Death Cab for Cutie

Watch the video here. (The video is kinda dumb and takes away from the song, IMO. So if you're going to click this link, I suggest you close your eyes and just listen to the beauty of the song. Pay no attention to the dorky guy with the guitar. *grin*)

Love of mine
Someday you will die
But I'll be close behind
I'll follow you into the dark
No blinding light
Or tunnels to gates of white
Just our hands clasped so tight
Waiting for the hint of a spark

If heaven and hell decide
That they both are satisfied
And illuminate the "no"s
On their vacancy signs
If there's no one beside you
When your soul embarks
Then I'll follow you into the dark

In catholic school
As vicious as roman rule
I got my knuckles bruised
By a lady in black
And I held my tongue
As she told me "Son,
Fear is the heart of love"
So I never went back

If heaven and hell decide
That they both are satisfied
And illuminate the "no"s
On their vacancy signs
If there's no one beside you
When your soul embarks
Then I'll follow you into the dark

You and me
Have seen everything to see
From Bangkok to Calgary
And the soles of your shoes
Are all worn down
The time for sleep is now
But it's nothing to cry about
'Cause we'll hold each other soon
In the blackest of rooms

If heaven and hell decide
That they both are satisfied
And illuminate the "no"s
On their vacancy signs
If there's no one beside you
When your soul embarks
Then I'll follow you into the dark
Then I'll follow you into the dark


I immediately went and downloaded this song, and I've listened to it countless times since then. I cry every time. I'm even crying now just reading the words over. It's so touching.

What are your favorite sappy love songs?


Note: This post brought to you by the letters P M and S. And the number 3. (3 MORE DAYS!!!!) *grin*

19 comments:

mm said...

First, that is a very touching song and I can see why it would have that effect on you. (the video *was* weird though)

Second, I love your "brought to you by the letters P M and S" bit. Made me LOL. I *heart* you!

*smooch*

Jen said...

:) I heart you, too! *smooooooch*

Bravie said...

*hugs*

I'll have to get back to you with my songs. One is on the radio right now. It most defintely chokes me up. *sigh* My Immortal by Evanescence. I still have problems hearing this song because I relate it to a specific person and the pain that I allow myself to feel over them.

BlindSlim~CSTL said...

One of my favorite love songs of all time isn't even a love song. It's "Take on me" by aha, but one that I've never forgotten since I was 10 was "Babe" by Styx. Yeah I was into sappy love songs already by the time I was 10. *grin*

Jen said...

Yes, Carey. I know how you are with that song. And Glow too. I think of you guys whenever I hear it. *hugs*

Slim! I love "Take on Me". One of my favorite 80's songs, along with "Always Something There to Remind Me". Good stuff. I've never heard "Babe", I don't think.

Bravie said...

[ sings ] Babe I love you.[/singing] I like that song muchly too.

mtw said...

Babe?
*fake vomiting noise*

Maybe because when it came out I was of the age that the song was WAY uncool! Whereas you peeps *waves at slim and bravy* were younger and could like it.

I'll post my love songs later. I'm also a sucker for love songs! That's about 80% of what I listen to.

Jen, you will not die alone with no one having ever loved you. That is simply not possible, hon. You have way too much to offer someone! Maybe it hasn't happened yet, but he's out there - someone who will love you until the end of time and would die for you. He's out there and he'll find YOU someday. It will be the luckiest day of his life!

mtw said...

Favorite Love Songs:

I Will (The Beatles)
More Than Words (Extreme)
This Way (Jewel)
How Do I Live (Leanne Rimes)

Iris (Goo Goo Dolls)


And I'd give up forever to touch you
Cause I know that you feel me somehow
You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be
And I don't want to go home right now

And all I can taste is this moment
And all I can breathe is your life
Cause sooner or later it's over
I just don't want to miss you tonight

And I don't want the world to see me
Cause I don't think that they'd understand
When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

And you can't fight the tears that ain't coming
Or the moment of truth in your lies
When everything seems like the movies
Yeah you bleed just to know your alive


Again (Lenny Kravitz)


I've been searching for you
I heard a cry within my soul
I've never had a yearning quite like this before
Now that you are walking right through my door

All of my life
Where have you been?
I wonder if I'll ever see you again
And if that day comes
I know we could win
I wonder if I'll ever see you again

A sacred gift of heaven
For better, worse, wherever
And I would never let somebody break you down
Nor take your crown, never

And everytime I've always known
That you were there, upon your throne
A lonely queen without her king
I longed for you, my love forever

Glowie said...

I'm sorry. I have to laugh because the two songs that MTW posted the lyrics to are both songs that remind me of that person. Iris especially.

"You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be
And I don't want to go home right now
And all I can taste is this moment
And all I can breathe is your life
Cause sooner or later it's over
I just don't want to miss you tonight"


There are, of course, many many more. But you know that.

But happy sappy love songs are "I Will Stand By You" and "Right Here Right Now" by PNH and "Butterflyz" by Alicia Keys and coincidentally *looks at MTW* "This Way" by Jewel Feels so good inside your arms. Home is everywhere you are.

I have heard that song, Jen. They performed it on some show, I think. *hug* I love you. *smooch*

Glowie said...

Sarah McLachlan is good for that, btw.

There’s this one, of course…but I have the sense to recognize that I don't know how to let you go


And this one gets to me:
Full of Grace

The winter here's cold, and bitter
It’s chilled us to the bone
We haven't seen the sun for weeks
Too long too far from home
I feel just like I'm sinking
And I claw for solid ground
I'm pulled down by the undertow
I never thought I could feel so low
Oh darkness I feel like letting go

If all of the strength and all of the courage
Come and lift me from this place
I know I can love you much better than this
Full of grace
Full of grace
My love

So it's better this way, I said
Having seen this place before
Where everything we say and do
Hurts us all the more
It’s just that we stayed, too long
In the same old sickly skin
I'm pulled down by the undertow
I never thought I could feel so low
Oh darkness I feel like letting go

If all of the strength
And all of the courage
Come and lift me from this place
I know I could love you much better than this
Full of grace
Full of grace
My love


And then there’s Angel:

Spend all your time waiting
for that second chance
for a break that would make it okay
there's always some reason
to feel not good enough
and it's hard at the end of the day
I need some distraction
oh beautiful release
memory seeps from my veins
let me be empty and weightless
and maybe I'll find some peace tonight

Jen said...

*smooch* MTW. Thank you for saying such nice things. I hope you're right. I like a lot of those songs you posted, especially "More Than Words" (I used to love them when I was a kid!), and "Again". Good choices! :)

*smooch* Glow. Sarah is good stuff. I love "Angel" and "Possession" (I think that's the title?).

Syren said...

You will find the person...when you least expect it.

But we do have a friend we think you might be compatible with.


Wanna come to Hotlanta?

Bravie said...

Hey!!!! she can't go to Hotlanta until after she comes to visit me this weekend. *stomps*

Jen said...

I would love to come to Hotlanta. I just have to win the lottery first. Which might be difficult since I don't play the lottery. LOL.

*very curious about this Paul guy*

Anonymous said...

It's always hard for me to thank of songs on the spot:

My Immortal always gives me chill bumps when I hear it.

There's a song by Kiss called Forever that I love. I know that one is so so cheesy. And even more cheesy is the fact that it reminds me right now of Denise Richards and Ritchie Sambora. *giggles*

HistoryDetective said...

*hugs*

Wow. Thanks for sharing this.

yvonne said...

Let's just say that I cry at commercials, so most any song can be a sappy love song that makes me cry.

I am a big ole cry baby.

Hope you had a BLAST in SF. Can't wait to hear all about it.

~Nutz said...

Are you back yet? Are you recovered yet?

*waits*

mm said...

She is probably still recovering from the smoldering kiss I gave her. *grin*

*smooch*