I know you're all waiting with baited breath (is that the right expression? It looks weird) to hear how I'm loving my DVR. :)
Let me just say this... my addictions to fast food and alcohol now have company. *grin*
I've had the thing for less than a week and I've already used up 22% of my recording space. I went a little crazy at first, obviously. Who knew that The Soup was on like 100 times a week? Heh. I have a couple movies recorded that I haven't had time to watch yet. I just don't have time for all this tv! In addition to all my DVRings, I've also been renting a lot of television shows from Netflix. This weekend I will be watching some Flight of the Conchords and some Dexter, as well as trying to watch all the shows from the week that I recorded.
Not that I'm complaining. I luuuuuuuuuuurve tv, so having too much is better than having nothing. :)
The only thing I am a little disappointed in is the fact that I can only record 2 shows at once. Some nights (Mondays, especially) I have 3 or 4 (or 5, now that they've moved Intervention to Monday nights. Grrrr.) things on at the same time that I want to see. I just either have to tape them on the VCR in my bedroom or watch them online.
Other than that, I'm very pleased. I look forward to going home and watching a new recording every night. It's the highlight of my day, sadly. I think I'm a bit too anal though, because I don't like having 22% of my space used up. I want to delete it all and start fresh. It bothers me to have things using up my space. But on the other hand, I don't want to delete something that I might want to watch again in a few weeks. Yes, I am too anal. Heh.
Oh! And. Since I had to upgrade my cable in order to get the DVR, I now have the Fox Reality Channel! I haven't watched anything on it yet, but I hear that they're supposed to be starting up a new season of Paradise Hotel. A whole channel dedicated to reality tv. It doesn't get much better than that. *grin*
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

21 comments:
Paradise Hotel, you say? *perks up ears*
Jen. Jen. Jen. You will never again see 0%. It would be silly to wish for such a thing. That! would mean there's nothing on! (or that you stay up all night long watching television and sleep when you come home from work just to do it all over again ~ which I have never done, of course) Or that, tragically, your DVR has exploded and you have to get a new one (which is a very very sad and depressing thing to deal with let me tell you).
oh yeah, and Mondays suck. Way too much on.
Sadly, I had to delete episode 2-1 of FNL to make some room a week or so ago. *sob*
oh! Something I'm not sure we discussed that could be important to you... since you are saving old shows on your DVR and you, I'm sure, have a bunch of stuff scheduled to record every day, keep in mind that if the space is needed, your old shows will be bumped unless you have the settings saved to keep until you delete. In which case, I do believe your new show will not record. I usually do the keep until space is needed option, I think.
I originally worried when my DVR used space would get near 40%. Same with my iPod.
Then I realized that it's silly to leave empty space on a DVR (or iPod). You can't watch empty space. Fill it up! Fill it with cukoo-bananas stuff that you'd never watch if you had to wait around for it. You can always delete it.
I love my DVR. When we first got ours I recorded 18 minutes of the Yule Log in High Def and we kept it around for almost a year.
Yes, The Soup is on 9284756 times a week. Mine is set to just record over the old one so I just have to make sure I watch it some time during the week.
I just think it's hilarious that NOW you're bothered by only being able to record TWO shows at once! LOL. One thing you can do to manage that problem is find out which shows will be repeated and record them later. For example, this Monday night I canceled my Heroes recording so that I could record Prison Break and DWTS.
I rescheduled Heroes for later this week when it is rebroadcast on G4 (whatever that is).
I'm so glad you love your DVR. I knew you would! I think Cod will be pleased!
Wow, I think I'm afraid to get a dvr now LOL.
Mondays are a busy night for tv. I usually watch what I can't record online.
Have fun Jen but do come up for air once in a while and visit us.
Glow- thanks for the tip. I noticed that originally the shows were set to stay in the DVR for 2 weeks. I didn't know if they would automatically delete at that time (whether I needed space or not), so I changed it to "save until I delete manually."
Frodis- I will have to look around for some cuckoo-bananas stuff to record. :)
Mark- The 2 at a time thing just wasn't what I was expecting. I thought I'd be able to record anything and everything I wanted. With my VCR, I could watch one thing and tape another, so the DVR isn't that much different as to how many shows I can watch, ya know? I will have to pay more attention to repeats. I just need to get used to adjusting my television viewing habits.
Nookie- I will try to be around some. It's that time of year when I get all anti-social though, so the DVR came just in time! :)
So you're already wondering how you could have lived without it, huh? *grin* I *heart* my Tivo!
I've been anti-social too. I would start a club for it but I doubt people would join.
Oh! And *besa*!
Hah!!! Welcome to the club.
We laughed the first week we had ours because we had set The L Word to only tape first run shows. and like you, we found out that our show played like 14 times a day and our DVR filled up quickly. *giggle*
You do know that you can set it to only record first run shows, right? No repeats.
*giggle*
Now I really, really want a DVR.
I love my DVR. At any given time I have about 30 - 40 hours of stuff waiting to be watched.
Sometimes I record whole seasons of stuff and then watch them in a couple of marathons. This year I have recorded all the Grey's Anatomy but watched none of them yet. I also have all of Damages waiting for me.
If you get a chance to watch old seasons of Love Cruise on there, they have shakes and others doing a bunch of commentary. Kind of funny.
Now I want a DVR more than ever. When I have several shows to watch, my first priority is the reality show, which will not be repeated. I don't care so much about the "results" shows, if I have to watch and record other shows.
MM- I would join your anti-social club, as long as we don't have to go to meetings or send emails or communicate in any way. *grin*
*besa*
Carey and Boo- How do you tell it to not record repeats? I've looked through all options and I don't see anything like that. I guess the way to do it on mine is the "Only record in this time slot on this day" thing, huh?
Momma- Get one! :)
Swami- Oh, how I love a marathon. If I would've had mine at the beginning of the tv season that would've been a good idea. Maybe they'll start repeating things now that the writers are on strike. I gave up on Grey's several weeks ago, but I hear it may be getting better.
Kim- I'll have to keep my eye out for that. The only thing I've watched on that channel so far is "Reality Remix."
Puffy- Get one! :)
LOL! Your response made me laugh out loud! :D
Yes, I do believe I'll start that club. I'll let you know the official date it's up and running. Though I'm not sure how I'll do that.
Here's the problem with first runs. Yes, you set it to only record first runs. What that means is that it doesn't record reruns. But it does record repeats of first runs.
for instance, with us and The L Word. We set it to record first run only. Unfortunately it played the same first run, everyday of the week. It's not considered a rerun, just a repeat. So it was taping the L Word 5 days a week for us. They need to figure out how to fix that.
Is it me, or are you missing?
Hellllllooooooooooooooooo.
Earth to Jen!!!
Where are you?
Happy Thanksgiving!!!!
Pssst. Happy Thanksgiving!
Post a Comment